Tuesday 28 January 2014

Breed us tougher in Luton , a Horseshoe session.


It was a cold November day as I pulled up at Horseshoe lake , along the track into the road bank carpark . Pulling up next to me was Dazza , we were on the lake for a couple of nights , and there was a few swims to choose from . The Witney bank looked good , with someone in sandbags swim catching one that day , and the swim free next to it !. We went and dropped a couple of buckets and some gear in it to secure our swim , and with somewhere to start we carried on for another look down the opposite end , a known winter area. We stood in the 40's swims staring out across the water , it looked even better , and although it ment a move before we had even started , we knew that a big hike like pack horses was on the cards , but it's best to get it right , as many don't bother once settled in !. It was getting late so I wanted to get my spots sorted out . I just bunged my gear up the back of the bank and put the marker rod together . I wanted to get my spot sorted out while there was still time before dark , the marker popped up on a cleanish area , the spod clipped up as it landed next to it , and the chopped boilies/ sweet corn/ hemp spod mix was started to be put out . The rods then went out perfect , either side of the marker , lines marked in case of a bite . Peg 41 was swim for 2 days !


The fantastic Horseshoe , I love it .


 Dazza on the other hand did it different , got his house up , got comfy , kettle on , and pottered about just putting his stringers out in for the night !. I ripped into him , gave him some grief , took the piss a bit about his priorities , then as dark come in proper put the Titain up . I like the dark , easily arranging stuff like bed chairs etc , all was sorted , just the sleeping bag to lay out , now where has that gone ?. I searched like a madman around the swim , it was easy though as it was a nice grassy bank , bit of a slope , but nowhere for it to hide !. Me and Dazza searched with a torch for ages before we realised that as it was in its stuff bag it must have rolled into the lake !. Back at the car I gathered all the clothes I could , and bit the bullet , and slept on the bedchair in my one piece suit . IT WAS A LONG NIGHT !.


One of a few that long night ,here I am wearing my "sleeping bag " .


During the night I caught , the cold seemed to disappear , but not for long as I payed down back on the cold chair . In the morning having a hot black coffee it all came to light , there bobbing around in the water to my right was the sleeping bag !. Me and Dazza got it out , now that sounds easy now as I write it , but in truth it was a nightmare . God knows how heavy it was full of water !, but with him pulling , me in the water pushing we got it up the grass to the barbed wire fence at the back . The water sucked up was unbelievable , and after I hung it from the fence it flowed strongly for 2 days !. A few people thought I was mad , and the baliff came round to see what had gone on , which was not so good for Dazza . He had popped back to the car for some more stuff , and I was looking after his rods . The baliff did not like this , made me wind his rods in , made even worse when Dazza got back , and the baliff realised that he had just got back on the lake after serving a ban for swimming in the lake !. That's another story , with Dazza only thinking of the safety of a snagged fish , and got an unfair ban in everyone's eyes !. During the next cold long night I caught again as did my mate . In the morning as I lay cold on the bedchair Ian Poole stuck his head in the door . He looked surprised , and said " my god ,you still alive ? " , I smiled , " yes , and do you know why ? BECAUSE THEY BREED US TOUGHER IN LUTON ! " .

Hatter

No comments: