Saturday 17 November 2007

Birthday Bash


Before we started on the rivers we had a trip to celebrate my 50th birthday . Big parties are nice , and we had a cracker for Sue , but I had always imagined something different for my one . I wanted to hire a lake for some friends and family , with nice facility's , and all to our self s. This was a hard one to sort out , with not much choice to be honest . We ended up finding a jewel called olivemead lake , near Chippenham. I wanted to pay for it as a treat to my mates who put up with me piss taking , and non stop fishing talk .

It had everything and more . Two showers , two toilets , two lodges ,lcd telly's , cookers , all kitchen equipment , large bbq area , and to top it all , a balcony over the lake its self. The lake was about 2 - 3 acres with lots of rudd , tench , and obviously carp , the latter reaching over 30lb. Six of us fished , and wives came along , my mate Steve even collected his son Mitchel for a couple of nights . We had a great time with lots of tench caught to over 6lb , a few carp to 15lb .The highlight was fishing from the balcony of the lodge whilst having the evening bbq,s. Cheering as the young lad had loads of bites from the rudd , before the inevitable happened , and he hooked a tench !!. It rained a bit , and there was noise from the m4 , but we were so taken with the setup we tried to book again with the owner when he turned up to greet his next customers . Beds in the lodge for those who did not want to rough it , secure , hot showers , lights on the paths around the lake , we will be back.

This trip gave a couple of us a chance to try out the lamprey boillies . We had them in two sizes , and dips etc . The first night I went with tigers / maize , and lampreys. I had a fish from close to some pads , where a fished showed , and sent up bubbles . I feel I had got it wrong first night with the minimal feed / pva bags , and put all the bait I had left to this spot , and put 2 rods on it . Fish showed all over the lake , and some good ones as well. During the night , and at first light I had 3 more , losing one as well . I feel none of us really got to grip with it , and could have fished the open water more . The owner said that the syndicate had always caught close in , as the lake was a deep bowl shape , with the water dropping steeply down to 15ft close in , and this is how we started . Nobody told the carp though , and perhaps they had not read the books , and showed over 20ft + of water .My mate Steve also caught a carp , from next to the pads on a couple of lamprey baits , so it was working for him too. It was nice to get the carp stuff out for a change , and bivvi up looking at a nice view , different from the continuous roving we had done for the last few years. Nice as it was , hanging from trees , watching barbel is what I was looking forward to be doing .

Hatter

No comments: